Can you tell me more about a raw diets for my pets?
A raw food diet for dogs & cats is often called the “BARF” diet. This stands for Bones And Raw Food or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food. This diet consists of Raw Meaty Bones (RMBs), muscle and organ meats, pulverized vegetables and fruits, and assorted scraps and supplements. This combination of fresh food is fed to pets instead of dry or wet commercial dog food.
TRMBs are food, as well as teeth & breath cleaners. Small bones can be consumed with the attached meat, as long as they are raw – never cooked. Cooked bones become brittle & therefore can harm your pet if eaten. Larger bones, such as beef marrow bones or knuckle bones can be chewed for hours of recreation while cleaning teeth and freshening breath.
- Muscle meat is boneless meat and fish.
- Organ meat comes in the form of liver, kidney, heart & gizzard.
- Vegetables & fruits can be anything in this category except onions – these cause anemia in dogs.
- Other foods that can be included are eggs (nature’s perfect protein), yogurt & other dairy, apple cider vinegar & leftovers.
- Supplements should include fish oil and a natural multivitamin (not synthetic) which includes vitamins B & C.
All these ingredients can be found in most grocery stores. When bought in bulk and frozen, this diet can end up costing less than a good commercial pet food. Vegetables & fruits need to be pulverized in a food processor in order for the pet to totally digest them. Once processed, this concoction can be stored in individual containers (or Ziplocs) in the refrigerator or freezer for future use.
We believe a raw diets is the best nutritional option for your pet! It provide many health benefits that are not found in traditional kibble.